Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Impact 12v vs 18v

Hello this is my first post her on this forum I have been in the hvac trade for almost 2 years now. When I started out I bought a makita drill/impact kit. It was decent for the price. I have since upgraded to the Milwaukee m18 hammer drill/impact. I do install work only. I use my impact probably 25-1 of the drill drill is only used for cutting take-offs and drilling holes for running wires. My question is does anyone do install work and use the new Milwaukee m12 brushless impact? I love my m18 brushless but it gets heavy and isn't the easiest thing to get up in floor joist or trusses to put duct together. Will the m12 provide enough power to do the job of duct inhalation ? I am not so much concerned with battery life as I have 6 m18 batteries currently due to a lot of new construction job sites with limited power.

Again will the m12 drive sheet metal screws and 3in screws for framing ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

M12 will run big screws, no problem.

Been beating the snot out of mine for almost 3 years, now (not the brushless model) and it's still going strong.

IMO, cordless tools are about convenience, not power. A heavy drill stays in the truck. My M12 lives in my Veto bag.

That's awesome! I don't plan on getting rid of the m18 stuff but just want something smaller and lighter for all those not so pleasant places. Like I said it will basically be used driving 1/2-1in saber point screws sometimes some 5/16 bit tip and the 2in screws for grills and registers.

I use the m12 all the time and love it. At first I was only going to use it for service but now I use it for everything except for hole saws and the like. The battery lasts a long time and I'm still surprised with how much power it had for such a small drill.

I've got a hitachi 12v impactor angle drill.
    Been using it for years, install end and service end.
    Even can power through spiral with a vari bit.

Get out the dewalt 18v hammerdrill for anything that it can't handle.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

I bought an M12 'fuel' impact about a mos ago... it is great! Sometimes it seems to bog down just a bit... but does get the job done. And it is 2 speed... something not found on many impacts.

I was using the black/white 18V Makita (?) before, they are lighter than the green 18V... yet the batteries do not last long. The 18V has all the strength necessary to do whatever I want it to.

My 60 year old wrists and hands appreciate light...

As JP noted: The M12 stays in my VETO...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

That is the same makita kit I have. ITN has become my around the house kit.

Well I want to thank you guys for the advice I just ordered the m12 fuel impact and a 4.0 battery should get to try it out by end of next week. Not sold locally for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by asm3686 View Post
    Well I want to thank you guys for the advice I just ordered the m12 fuel impact and a 4.0 battery should get to try it out by end of next week. Not sold locally for me.

That 4 amp battery will run all day.

I use the 2 amp battery in all my M12 tools except the sawzall and buzz tool (multi-tool).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Well today was the first day of install use for my new m12 fuel impact. I framed and installed 3 returns and strapped up a house full of flex 24 runs. And helped my coworker hang roughly 60ft of rect duct hanging every 4ft and used the 2.0 battery today and it is still reading 1/2 charge I could not be more impressed with the battery life or the power I didn't at any moment feel like I needed the m18 impact

I have the m12 and i Have beaten the living hell out of the thing. I am so impressed with it, that I will not even entertain the idea of getting anything but another Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by asm3686 View Post
    That's awesome! I don't plan on getting rid of the m18 stuff but just want something smaller and lighter for all those not so pleasant places. Like I said it will basically be used driving 1/2-1in saber point screws sometimes some 5/16 bit tip and the 2in screws for grills and registers.

I dont see how an impact helps in drilling in hvac type screws..... the sharp pointed ones, the drill points or even the heavy tek 5 or whatever screws.

I saw some of our guys using impacts to screw on ductmate one day and they said the screws were poor quality or something...... I got my regular dewalt drill out and I put in some screws with no problems whatsover.

How does the impact feature help ??? I could see it being helpful for removing rusted or stuck fasteners but I just dont see the advantage in putting in new fasteners...
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I dont see how an impact helps in drilling in hvac type screws..... the sharp pointed ones, the drill points or even the heavy tek 5 or whatever screws.

I saw some of our guys using impacts to screw on ductmate one day and they said the screws were poor quality or something...... I got my regular dewalt drill out and I put in some screws with no problems whatsover.

How does the impact feature help ??? I could see it being helpful for removing rusted or stuck fasteners but I just dont see the advantage in putting in new fasteners...
    It helps in being shorter and lighter than the regular drill. And typically more RPMs than a regular drill which starts the screws easier in my experience. And the impact feature doesn't do much but to me it tells me when the screw is tight...