gfi question

Thread: gfi question

gfi question

My neighbor had an above ground pool installed. The contractor ran a new 30 amp line to the pool filter. Everything looks good to me.. very neat.. My neighbors question is he had then add an outlet on the deck and they put a gfi outlet at the pool filter also. he says he was told that only the first outlet should be gfi that it will protect the entire circuit. I told him I would check with a real electrician.

Thanks in advance

Don't know the code for it, but it depends on how its wired, as the first gfi would kill the rest of circuit if wired that way. So if he ran thru the gfi and it tripped it would kill the rest, but if he pigged tail around the gfi, the gfi could pop, and the other reg outlet would stay live.

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    Don't know the code for it, but it depends on how its wired, as the first gfi would kill the rest of circuit if wired that way. So if he ran thru the gfi and it tripped it would kill the rest, but if he pigged tail around the gfi, the gfi could pop, and the other reg outlet would stay live.
    Yep .

God bless
    Wyr

Thanks guys.. I'll pop the first one out and check the wiring.